Now that the semester is over I’m going to devote some more of my time to my blog and also developing software. One of the first things I was going to do on my blog is add more links over on the right and realized it is a major pain in the butt to order not only the links but also the link categories themselves. WordPress has no facility for manually ordering the link categories so I changed that. My quick fix was adding a column to the database and then editing the select query to order by “my_order” instead of whatever it was doing.
My plan is to develop a plugin to add this functionality because it is sorely missing and the weakest point of WordPress that I have found. I’ll update as I work on that and hopefully I can get it released to the WP community for others to use.
With one final left tomorrow (I would categorize the two from yesterday as “almost easy”) I’m looking forward to getting some stuff done over the break. In no particular order here we go:
- Overhaul computer to dual core Athlon 64
- Finish Christmas shopping
- Help finish off kitchen remodel
- Watch Kung Fu DVDs I have not yet viewed
- Get down and dirty with ASP.NET 2.0
- Start planning what I will be doing after graduation
- Start looking for possible employment opportunities
- Spend more time with Sarah who has been slightly neglected this semester
- Spend more time with Nikon D70 who has been slightly neglected this semester
- Prepare for my last semester in the comfy world of academia
- Get Christmas tree before Christmas
- Maybe put up some Christmas light before Christmas
- Get resume up to date in XML format using standardized DTD
If I accomplish anything, I really want to get some more programming and dotNet knowledge. It won’t be long until I’m interviewing for jobs and I want to make sure my skillset is up to date and competitive.
So what are you going to be doing with any vacation time you get?
Well I’m not completely free yet but I’m getting closer. Thanks to Denise and Amy for noticing my absence. Finishing up my labs and papers this week with 3 finals next week. They shouldn’t be too hard and I probably won’t study like crazy, who knows I might pull of another 4.0 semester (I’m a quarter of the way there for sure). When winter break rolls around and I have nothing to do I will definitely be posting here and on other sites more. Who knows I might actually create a post that is somewhat geeky and …weekly.
Just like the Internet, Al Gore didn’t invent it. Some of you might not be terribly nerdy/geeky/techie people, but since you are here looking at this site you are using the Internet, this should be of interest to you. If anything it will make you smarter and in a few years you can impress your friends by saying “Eh whatever, I heard about AJAX back in 2005, big deal.”
AJAX uses technology behind the scenes to communicate with a server and returns information to the page you are looking at without refreshing the page, allowing it to become truly dynamic and interactive. The best way to further explain is to see it in action and decide for yourself the cool factor.
Google Maps, Google Suggest, Meebo
More information on AJAX