This will be our first Christmas on our own and it has led to some interesting developments. I’m down for just sleeping in and having a nice relaxing morning. Anybody have stories about their first married Christmas or adjustments that had to be made in family traditions? And of course our first Christmas tree.
Being a geek and having a website where I supposedly write posts about geeky things means I must give proof of my geekiness. As Sarah, my parents, siblings, and anybody who tried to shop for me for Christmas knows, I’m particular about the things I buy. Well as a gift to myself I decided to upgrade the core components of my computer because we all know money serves zero purpose sitting in a bank account. My upgrade included:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU – Dual core 2ghz processor, very nice
- 1GB (2x512MB) Corsair Value PC3200 (DDR 400) RAM
- GeForce 6800 GS PCI-E x16 – Blows the pants off of all but the most uber expensive video cards
- MSI K8n Neo4 nForce4 Ultra motherboard – decent board but nothing too special
- Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu CPU cooler – very quiet and very good, nearly same one I had for past 2 years but it is compatible with my new 939 cpu socket
I’ll probably be overclocking and tweaking things for the next year because it’s not like I have anything better to do. The CPU was a majority of the cost but it will last me for a good while since the trend will be toward multiple cores and multi-threaded applications. When I have some free time I’ll probably stick in a spare hard drive and dual boot with Windows XP 64-bit to really take advantage of my new hardware.
If you understand anything I am talking about then you get a gold star on your geek progress chart.