This page is an archive for the older versions of My Category Order. All new comments should be made here.
Gives you manual control over the order of your WordPress post categories by letting you set an explicit order. Works with subcategories too.
If you’d like to say thank you or make a donation please visit my Gifts and Donations page.
Download My Category Order:
- WP 2.5: Now hosted at the WordPress.org Plugin Directory
- WP 2.3.2: mycategoryorder2-3-2.zip
- WP 2.3: mycategoryorder2-3.zip
- WP 2.2: mycategoryorder-2-2.zip
- WP 2.1: mycategoryorder2-1-3.zip
- WP 1.5 & 2.0: mycategoryorder.zip
- Update 3/30/2008: For WP 2.5, I’ve moved all future downloads to the WordPress Plugin directory. This page will stay up as a testament to this plugin’s popularity over the past 2 years.
- Update 2/09/2008: Works with 2.3.3, just copy taxonomy.php again.
- Update 1/22/2008: Fixed a bug that cropped up in the 2.3 release. 2.3.2 is the only version where subcategories are working correctly. Also added Exclude and Include options to the widget so you can specify category ID’s there to exclude or include. Also cleaning house a little on the page, older comments might disappear.
- Update 9/30/2007: Updated to WP 2.3. The category table got nuked this release so youâ€™ll need to go back and order your categories again.
- Update 6/30/2007: The release you’ve all been waiting for!!! Built in widget support, hacking the widgets.php file is a thing of the past. HUGE thanks to Tony for the code, much easier to “widgetize” something than I previously thought.
- Update 5/12/2007: Made some changes to how categories are differentiated between post and link categories. Now any category with 0 links in it is considered a post category, this allows the use of empty categories for better categorization and still have them show up in the plugin. Thanks for the feedback and testing Marci.
- Update 5/10/2007: Big update! I rewrote the interface and replaced the unfriendly up and down arrows with spiffy new drag and drop ordering. Check it out, definitely worth the upgrade, I’ve only tested on 2.1.3 but it should work on any 2.1.x install.
- Update 1/22/2007: Updated to WP 2.1, theme template change needed, see update below.
With the success of my first WordPress plugin My Link Order, I got a good number of requests asking for something similar that gave control over the order of post categories instead of link categories. I listened and here it is, My Category Order.
- Upload the mycategoryorder.php to /wp-content/plugins/ on your server.
- 2.3 and above: move taxonomy.php to /wp-includes/
- Activate the My Category Order plugin on the Plugins menu.
- Plugin tab appears under the Manage menu, give the categories an initial order.
- WIDGETS: Just drop the “My Category Order” widget in your sidebar that gets installed with the plugin and thatâ€™s it!
- Modify sidebar template to use new sort attribute, see below.
Sidebar Modification: If you aren’t using widgets then you’ll need to change your template to use the new sort parameter, “orderby=order”:
If you have any problems let me know, I am more than happy to help resolve any issues you may have. I’ll respond to your comment through email so be sure to put a valid email in. Even if you don’t have problems leave a comment or throw a couple bucks to buy some beer.